Brennan & Co
Phone: +353 (0)21 427 8283
Brennans Cook Shop,
7 Oliver Plunkett St Cork City Centre
Categories: Food Suppliers & Beverages, Home Products, Packaging Supplies
Keywords: Wholesale, ustensile, kitchen, appliances, gadgets, for food, bakeware, cake, decoration, Sugarcraft, Ireland
The firm of James Brennan & Co was established in Tuckey Street, Cork in 1872 by James and Mary Brennan. The business was mainly engaged in the sale of glass, crockery and cutlery to the retail and wholesale trade consistent with the requirements of the times.
The daughter of James and Mary Brennan, named May, entered the business at a young age and subsequently married an English man named Jack Winstanley (an accomplished fresh water fisherman).
They eventually took over the running of the business circa 1920 and substantially expanded the range and variety of goods for sale and included the greater Cork and Kerry regions. Indeed the nearby breweries were great customers with corks for bottles being a popular item. Back in those days pint glasses were made by Waterford Glass.
Maura and Joan Winstanley, (daughters of May and Jack) entered the business in the early 1940s and on the death of their father Jack in 1963 Maura took over the running of the business. Further expansion of the business took place that included three trade representatives and increased administration staff. At this stage the firm had acquired a reputation for the supply of high quality goods to the retail and wholesale sectors including such products as Waterford Glass, Kings Cutlery, Royal Tara China to mention but a few. Coincident with Maura Winstanley taking over the business Georgina Groeger (Leach), the niece of Maura, entered the business (the fourth generation).
Sylvester Groeger ( a well known national and international soccer referee) married to Joan Winstanley entered the business as a trade representative in the mid seventies and when Maura Winstanley passed away in 1985 Joan (Winstanley) Groeger and Sylvester Groeger continued to run the business. Sylvester Groeger passed away in 1986 and Joan and her daughter Georgina continued to run the business until 1989 when it passed into the present hands. The name of the business was maintained as James Brennan & Co. Significant expansion of the business was undertaken by the present owners Denis and Mark. Georgina Leach continues to work with the business, on a part-time basis, maintaining the connection of the original family.
In 1994 it was necessary to move to a larger premises located in Oliver Plunkett Street Cork. This became the home of the cookshop and cookschool. A separate unit, was opened in Killarney to handle the burgeoning Kerry/Limerick trade business. The Cork wholesale caterware business was relocated to a the present Cash & Carry premises in Wilton, Cork.
There have been many developments in the catering business over the years, but the guiding principles of this business remain the same:- quality products, competitive pricing and integrity in our dealings with the customer.